NOXA (Homo sapiens)
- Synonyms: NOXA, PMAIP1, APR, NOXA
- Species: Metazoa;Bilateria;Deuterostoma;Chordata;Vertebrata;Mammalia;Primates;Hominidae; Homo sapiens
- Short gene description: Phorbol-12-myristate-13-acetate-induced protein 1 (PMA-induced protein 1)(Immediate-early-response protein APR)(NOXA)
- Family: Bcl-2 family : BH3-only
- Process: apoptosis,
- Pathways: intrinsic pathway, pre-mitochondrial signaling events,
- Criteria: manually curated
- Curator comment:
- WIKI: NOXA-H_sapiens
- Noxa, a BH3-only member of the Bcl-2 family and candidate mediator of p53-induced apoptosis.
- Oda E, Ohki R, Murasawa H, Nemoto J, Shibue T, Yamashita T, Tokino T, Taniguchi T, Tanaka N
- A critical function of tumor suppressor p53 is the induction of apoptosis in cells exposed to noxious stresses. We report a previously unidentified pro-apoptotic gene, Noxa. Expression of Noxa induction in primary mouse cells exposed to x-ray irradiation was dependent on p53. Noxa encodes a Bcl-2 homology 3 (BH3)-only member of the Bcl-2 family of proteins; this member contains the BH3 region but not other BH domains. When ectopically expressed, Noxa underwent BH3 motif-dependent localization to mitochondria and interacted with anti-apoptotic Bcl-2 family members, resulting in the activation of caspase-9. We also demonstrate that blocking the endogenous Noxa induction results in the suppression of apoptosis. Noxa may thus represent a mediator of p53-dependent apoptosis. Science. 2000 May 12;288(5468):1053-8.
Structure & Sequence [+]
Protein sequence [+]
NOXA | Homo sapiens | 9606 | length:136
View protein alignment and tree with Jalview:
Explore tree at phylomeDB:   Click here.
Homologs list [+]
DeathBase uses Jalview, an external application that requires Java. Please, check that you have the latest version of Java installed and that Java is enabled in your browser. When correctly installed your browser should display the following examples properly. You can download the latest version of Java at Java Download Site.
Gene Ontology [+]
|GO id||Name||Ontology type||Evidence|
|GO:0001836||release of cytochrome c from mitochondria||biological_proccess||IDA|
|GO:0006919||activation of caspase activity||biological_proccess||IDA|
|GO:0006921||cell structure disassembly during apoptosis||biological_proccess||IDA|
|GO:0006926||virus-infected cell apoptosis||biological_proccess||IDA|
|GO:0006917||induction of apoptosis||biological_proccess||IDA|
|GO:0043331||response to dsRNA||biological_proccess||IDA|
Check GO Evidence Codes here
KEGG Pathways [+]
Curated Isoforms [+]
Information from other databases [+]
- OMIM gene information: 604959
- OMIM disease information:
Click on [?] for more information.