BCL2L14 (Homo sapiens)
- Synonyms: BCL2L14, BCLG, BCL-G
- Species: Metazoa;Bilateria;Deuterostoma;Chordata;Vertebrata;Mammalia;Primates;Hominidae; Homo sapiens
- Short gene description: Apoptosis facilitator Bcl-2-like 14 protein (Apoptosis regulator Bcl-G) [Source:UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot;Acc:Q9BZR8]
- Family: Bcl-2 family : multidomain Bcl-2
- Process: apoptosis,
- Criteria: manually curated
- Curator comment:
- Mouse ortholog(s):
- WIKI: BCL2L14-H_sapiens
- Bcl-G, a novel pro-apoptotic member of the Bcl-2 family.
- Guo B, Godzik A, Reed JC
- A new member of the Bcl-2 family was identified, Bcl-G. The human BCL-G gene consists of 6 exons, resides on chromosome 12p12, and encodes two proteins through alternative mRNA splicing, Bcl-G(L) (long) and Bcl-G(S) (short) consisting of 327 and 252 amino acids in length, respectively. Bcl-G(L) and Bcl-G(S) have identical sequences for the first 226 amino acids but diverge thereafter. Among the Bcl-2 homology (BH) domains previously recognized in Bcl-2 family proteins, the BH3 domain is found in both Bcl-G(L) and Bcl-G(S), but only the longer Bcl-G(L) protein possesses a BH2 domain. Bcl-G(L) mRNA is expressed widely in adult human tissues, whereas Bcl-G(S) mRNA was found only in testis. Overexpression of Bcl-G(L) or Bcl-G(S) in cells induced apoptosis although Bcl-G(S) was far more potent than Bcl-G(L). Apoptosis induction by Bcl-G(S) depended on the BH3 domain and was suppressed by coexpression of anti-apoptotic Bcl-X(L) protein. Bcl-X(L) also coimmunoprecipitated with Bcl-G(S) but not with mutants of Bcl-G(S) in which the BH3 domain was deleted or mutated or with Bcl-G(L). Bcl-G(S) was predominantly localized to cytosolic organelles, whereas Bcl-G(L) was diffusely distributed throughout the cytosol. A mutant of Bcl-G(L) in which the BH2 domain was deleted displayed increased apoptotic activity and coimmunoprecipitated with Bcl-X(L), suggesting that the BH2 domain autorepresses Bcl-G(L). J Biol Chem. 2001 Jan 26;276(4):2780-5. Epub 2000 Oct 27.
Structure & Sequence [+]
Protein sequence [+]
BCL2L14 | Homo sapiens | 9606 | length:327
View protein alignment and tree with Jalview:
Explore tree at phylomeDB:   Click here.
Homologs list [+]
DeathBase uses Jalview, an external application that requires Java. Please, check that you have the latest version of Java installed and that Java is enabled in your browser. When correctly installed your browser should display the following examples properly. You can download the latest version of Java at Java Download Site.
Gene Ontology [+]
|GO id||Name||Ontology type||Evidence|
|GO:0042981||regulation of apoptosis||biological_proccess||IEA|
Check GO Evidence Codes here
Information from other databases [+]
- OMIM gene information: 606126
- OMIM disease information:
Click on [?] for more information.